Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Journal Entry 2

They day the emancipation was passed I was in the heat picking my daily cotton. I haven’t seen my master all day and when I finally seen him I was afraid. He slowly came out the house with a box full of papers and his reading glasses. He placed his glasses on and for the first time read are names off one by one and told us we were free. Since it was too good to be true I didn’t believe what was happening. When he called my name, I walked up slowly and caution with my head down. He looked me dead in the eyes and said “go on now; you niggers finally got what you wanted”. When he placed my papers in my hand I ran back to the bunkhouse packed my clothes and was on my way to a better place. Road to freedom I was marching down. As I slowly walked down the road I stopped and attempted to read, it stated “Dear Negros, the day has come where you were set free, in your mind this was the right thing to do but in mines and was the beginning of a new period. Hope you enjoy, President Lincoln.” It was beginning of a new time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment